A training session, open to all members and prospective members of the Scottish Guild of Servers, is to be held on Saturday 17 November 2018 in St Michael and All Saints Church, Edinburgh from 9.30 am to 12.30 pm.
The programme will consist of a short talk on ‘The Ins and Outs of Serving’ followed by a choice of 2 of 4 workshops:
- Serving Roles
- The Services of the Church
- Using a thurible
- Setting Up for the Eucharist.
Tea and coffee will be provided on arrival and midway through the session and a sandwich lunch will be provided at the end.
The session is free of charge.
Detailed Information on the Programme:
- The Group Talk is for all participants and will consist of the following:
- Vocation of a Server
- Vestments, Sacred Vessels and their use
- Explanation of Liturgical colours
- Symbolism of Pall and Corporal
- Meaning behind what we do during Mass
- The 4 Workshops out of which participants will be asked to choose 2:
- Serving Roles – MC, thurifer, acolyte, crucifer and boat bearer; serving moves and postures including processing, standing, bowing, kneeling, genuflecting, sitting as well as handing cruets and the lavabo.
- Services of the Church – Eucharist, Morning and Evening Prayer, Compline and Evensong and Benediction
- Using a Thurible – the use of charcoal and incense, the rhythm of swinging the censor and censing the congregation
- Setting up for Mass – laying out chasuble, stole, maniple, girdle, alb and amice and preparing the chalice.